Justin C. Walker on Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:26:36 -0800

Re: --host in Configure

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 02:46 PM, Bill Allombert wrote:

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 12:25:00PM -0800, Justin C. Walker wrote:
First, the 'separator' error arises becase the library name is
terminated with a ';', which causes the system some indigestion.  Cf.
the line below marked with <<<<<.
Oh well, sorry, I miss it when reading the output Makefile. (I have tested
by doing ./Configure --host=ppc-darwin on i686-linux...).

Second, you don't appear to need "-I/usr/local/include" for Mac OS X, at
least in versions 10.2 and later.  I'll check into that further, but as
it is (on 10.2.2 with all tools updates installed), the compiler grouses
about having that directory specified.

That would be pretty silly of it. Even if /usr/local/include is in the
default search path of this patched gcc, it should accept it for the
sake of portability.

I don't understand it either (the complaint, specifically, is about "changing the search order for system directory"). I've got a request outstanding for an explanation.

The problem is that DLLD was set to ld instead of cc, and ld
 does not like options of cc

Tried it; got a complaint that '-compatibility_version' only works with '-dynamiclib'; so I added that and got our old friend the multiple definition error:

ld: multiple definitions of symbol _hiremainder
kernel.o definition of _hiremainder in section (__DATA,__common)
mp.o definition of _hiremainder in section (__DATA,__common)
ld: multiple definitions of symbol _overflow
kernel.o definition of _overflow in section (__DATA,__common)
mp.o definition of _overflow in section (__DATA,__common)
alglin1.o definition of _hiremainder in section (__DATA,__common)
alglin1.o definition of _overflow in section (__DATA,__common)

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |    Men are from Earth.