Bill Allombert on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:44:18 +0200

Re: functions returning int with 'l' protocodes.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 12:43:45PM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:40:07PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> ...And there is no code-letter for integer argument anyway?  What is
> your point?  When one adds support for the code-letter, one can the
> function as well...

Here is 'my first paragraph' that I was speaking about:

    For now, only output is neccessary. And since we are going to redesign
    the system, it is not a high priority to allow installed functions
    to take an int. Especially since there is no 't_INT to C int' conversions
    routines in GP.

And yes, we are really going to redesign the system. You can download
the description patch from <http://www.math.u-bordeaux.fr/~allomber/desc>.
I agree this has not make lot of progress, but mainly because I have received 0
comments about it.

If we want to keep the compatibility, it is not the good time to add new features.
We need the 'i' letter to fix the problem with the debugging binary on alpha,
that is all.

If you would like we choose another letter than 'i', please tell us.