Ilya Zakharevich on Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:22:55 -0700

Re: mnemonics

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 12:03:03PM +0200, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> 3) [minor]: it would be nice to have readline's completion known about the
> mnemonics specific to a given function. This is relatively easy to implement
> [the hardest part by far is to get the name of the function from the line to
> be completed, need to call the GP parser to skip previous arguments].

Readline support already has "skip the sexp" function.  Just repeat it
long enough backwards until you hit '('.

> 4) [minor]: a lot of functions need to be instrumented in this way. Once we
> agree on the general mechanism, it will be quite easy to do, though.

This also requires a significant rethinking of the documentation of
the flags.  I spent other 10min yesterday trying to understand what
the documentation of intnum() says.  (I failed.  I'm sure I would be
able to do it in 5min reading the sources, though... ;-)

BTW, I have many other plans of the same magnitude: an improvement to
an API which makes it *possible* to improve the stuff.  ;-)

Thanks for what you did,
Ilya