Bill Allombert on Sat, 3 Aug 2002 00:15:49 +0200

Re: [Comment] Re: [cpan #1201] hiremainder symbol not found

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 12:44:08PM -0400, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:59:11AM -0400, via RT wrote:
> > This message about Math-Pari was sent to you by via
> >
> > Full context and any attached attachments can be found at:
> >
> > This is a comment.  It is not sent to the Requestor(s):
> >
> > In order to get which ld I am using you should use:
> >
> > $ gcc -print-prog-name=ld
> >
> > I found this in the ./configure script for GNU wget.  You should
> > probably use a similar approach instead of trying to find ld in my $PATH
> > directly.

The bug, really, is to use ld instead of gcc to link dynamic library,
since using ld directly is not portable (break on hppa running GNU/linux at

The Debian package fix that already. We are working on fixing it in PARI/GP
but changes to Configure are difficult to test.

The Debian patch is to do

DLLD="$CC $cflags"
DLLDFLAGS="-shared -Wl,-soname=\$(LIBPARI_SONAME) -lm"

but this assume ld is GNU ld. So we probably need 'gcc -print-prog-name=ld'
to know which ld is used.

Thanks for the tip,