Karim BELABAS on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:19:40 +0200 (MEST)

Re: DYNAMIC_PLOTTING with gnuplot made easy

>> Unfortunately, I will not be able to check why the test of
>> Term::Gnuplot fails as root.
>
> I can investigate that if you're interested.

This is RedHat 7.2 on ix86. I'm logged as root via ssh, DISPLAY is set (and
works via X11 tunneling, double-checked with 'xterm').

  perl -MCPAN -e "install Term::Gnuplot"

fails because X11 tests break with

  [...]
  Builtin test for `x11', press ENTER

  exec failed: No such file or directory
  make: *** [test_dynamic] Broken pipe
    /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
  Running make install
    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

My (wild) guess when looking at gnuterm/term/x11.prm, is that you need
gnuplot_x11 to be present in the path, otherwise I don't see how all this can
possibly work.

Check: I renamed gnuplot_x11, and 'make test' does not work anymore for me
either (gnuplot_x11 never was in root's path in any case). If I put it back,
it works.

So, either skip the x11 test, make it non-fatal (it would be skipped anyway,
should DISPLAY not be set) or ask user to fully install gnuplot first.

Cheers,

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19