Karim BELABAS on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:16:40 +0200 (MEST)

Re: warnings

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:10:02PM -0400, Igor Schein wrote:
>> "../src/basemath/subcyclo.c", line 163: warning: implicit function declaration: group_order
> Fixed in the CVS

I see, you've included group_order() in paridecl.h. I had missed that
routine. I'm killing grouporder() from subfield.c, then :-)

I've fixed the other warnings (missing prototypes).

Nota Bene: we've already talked privately about adding private and public
header files to each PARI code module. For instance associated to
src/basemath/arith1.c, we would have something like headers/arith1.h (public),
headers/_arith1.h (private). All these include files would be installed as
/usr/include/pari/*.h  [or somesuch], and globally included by pari.h
(possibly via paridecl.h) like in:

  #include <pari/*.h>
  #  include <pari/_*.h>

(of course #include <*.h> does not work but you get the idea). A routine
would be "private" if we guarantee nothing about interface stability.

The "public routines would be the ones currently available in paridecl.h
(which would be split into smaller chunks), plus a few others as need arise.

The headers would also contain macros, inline functions and typedefs which
are currently local to a given file but might conceivably be of general
interest (most of them in the private header files, though).

Since CVS is very annoying when it comes to renaming files, it would be
preferable to do it right the first time.

Comments, objections ? What about doing it now and documenting everything
that gets mentioned in one of these files [first barebones draft would be OK,
starting from the text of the .h file, adding a (TeX) comment after each
definition, just to get started] ?   [ this would address one of the
DOCUMENTATION points in TODO as well ]

Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19
Université Paris-Sud             Email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr
F-91405 Orsay (France)           http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~belabas
PARI/GP Home Page: http://www.parigp-home.de/