Karim BELABAS on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:48:07 +0200 (MEST)

Re: 64bit HPUX binary buggy

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Igor Schein wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:16:06PM +0200, Karim BELABAS wrote:

[...]
> yes, bnfinit(x^2+1) is broken.
>
> I tried it at \g9.  Below the relevant diff portion,
> As you can see, the problem starts on "adding vector" line
[...]
> -adding vector = 2155177552
> +adding vector = -4611686016274382136

Argh. Both are ridiculous. Had forgotten about this dreadful hack (using a
GEN type for something with is _not_ a GEN, then adding dummy codewords
having specific signification to specific functions, then eventually restore
codewords...). Shame, shame.

Of course the debugging routine is not aware of this, and quietly prints
garbage in both cases. Nobody has looked at this at such high debugging
levels for a long time...

OK, I've killed the hack [ will not hurt efficiency, should not change the
fact that bnfinit is broken, only give meaningful debugging output ], please
update and check again the logs.

    Karim.

P.S: I've introduced yet another global variables in that module, but I'll
kill them all with a decent struct later.
--
Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19