Karim BELABAS on Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:50:07 +0200 (MEST)

New editor's policy :-)

Dear pari-dev subscriber,

  for a long time, a lot of ideas and patches that should have been discussed
on this list were handled instead by small subgroups of developers. The
reason for this was that PARI never really was developped as an open source
project, that I was reluctant to discuss highly experimental / unstable
features, that I tend to answer directly to email directly sent to me, and
also because PARI has been developped for a long time in a central place,
namely Bordeaux University, by people who all knew each other, and old
habits die hard.

It was a bad thing (tm) for a number of obvious reasons, including the facts
that the discussions were not publicly archived, and that the lack of
publicity certainly prevented other brave souls to jump into the fray.

So, from now on, I'll Cc the list about any pari-development-related email I
send, and I'll try to post a small digest whenever I make relatively
important changes. I also would like to ask all the nice people who usually
send me personal mail when reporting particularly embarassing bugs to write
to the list instead (Igor, you listening ?).

Finally, I'd like to apologize in advance if the number of messages rises
dramatically. (In fact, it's more or less my explicit goal :-)

Cheers,

    Karim.

P.S: I'll be releasing unstable snapshots more frequently, but I really
encourage everybody to use CVS instead, sinces the sources change very often
in the unstable branch (many times a day).
--
Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19