Bill Allombert on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:42:18 +0100

Re: R.I.P., Configure?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 07:35:50PM -0500, Matias Atria wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > they work *only* in the situations when *all* the interdependent parts make
> > flawless guesses.
> That's what --enable, --with and environnment variables are for. I actually
> prefer automatic configuration, but that's a holy war.

These are only yes/no choice, not sufficient for replacing most
question asked by Configure.

Also, you can use Configure -l if you prefer automatic configuration:
For the Debian package, I do

./Configure $DEB_OPTION #get a raw configuration
cat config_debian >> $OSARCH/ #tweak it
./Configure -l $OSARCH/ #reload it

> Anyway, maybe it would be good to update the TODO file :-)

I still believe there are room for improvement in Configure.

We should compare configure scripts and Configure and see what are the best
technical choices:

Makefile.SH between ?
locatelib/symbol between "try to compile a C file"?