Karim BELABAS on Fri, 9 Nov 2001 02:22:06 +0100 (MET)

Re: subst() broken

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
>> The big thing is that each polynomial euclidean division is done as
>> univariate polynomials division in the higher priority variables,
>> because euclidean division does not make sense for multivariate
>> polynomials.
> IMO, what is needed is some explicit explanation; with ample crosslinks
> to it from all the places which mention POLMOD and variable priorities...

I gave it a try. Please update your user's manual from the CVS server: I
added section 2.6.2 (on "variable priority") and refered to it about 15
times. This tries to explain GP's conception of multivariate polynomial
arithmetic, with explicit warnings about surprising results.

I moved some stuff away from section 4.6.1 (Multivariate objects) to stick
to library programming details at this point (this is not detailed enough).

I added an index entry for "variable (priority)"

Let's try to clarify this once and for all where it really matters (in the
manual). Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr
Dep. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425
Universite Paris-Sud             Tel: (00 33) 1 69 15 57 48
F-91405 Orsay (France)           Fax: (00 33) 1 69 15 60 19
PARI/GP Home Page: http://www.parigp-home.de/