Jack Fearnley on Mon, 08 May 2000 22:24:52 -0400

Bug in default

Note the following session in 2.0.12.  I also see the same problem in 2.0.17.

GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.0.12 (alpha)
                 ix86 running emx (ix86 kernel) 32-bit version
                (readline enabled, extended help not available)

                           Copyright (C) 1989-1998 by
          C. Batut, K. Belabas, D. Bernardi, H. Cohen and M. Olivier.

Type ? for help, \q to quit.
Type ?12 for how to get moral (and possibly technical) support.

   realprecision = 28 significant digits
   seriesprecision = 16 significant terms
   format = g0.28

parisize = 4000000, primelimit = 500000
? default(realprecision,,1)
%1 = 28
? default(format,"g0.7")
   format = g0.7
? default(realprecision)
   realprecision = 28 significant digits (7 digits displayed)
? default(realprecision,,1)
%2 = 7
?
While computation is proceeding with the correct realprecision (28 in this
case) the function call
default(realprecision,,1) is returning 7 which is the displayed number of
digits.  I need the correct value of realprecision in order to compute the
number of terms to sum in a series to be summed.

Can anyone think of a workaround other than explicitly passing the desired
digits precision as an argument?

Has this been fixed in any later versions?

Best Regards,
		Jack Fearnley